For many operators, understanding optimal performance levels for a building’s systems can be a herculean task. IoT devices that allow data gathering and understanding of a wide range of systems can help managers control energy consumption and its wastage which leads to major savings.
IoT uses a network of connected devices that are embedded with the sensors and to the Internet. The sensors detect data coming out of the integrated devices/equipment that is used for real-time analytics to provide insights.
Businesses across all industry verticals are accepting this new technology with open arms to capitalize on the opportunities it offers. IoT is now extensively used to achieve various business goals like reducing energy consumption, improving operational efficiency, improving occupants comfort, generating revenue, increasing customer engagement and more. Buildings, retail stores, hotels and even in hospitals sensors have installed with automating activities for some time now, primarily aiming to make occupants more comfortable and productive at the lowest cost, while managing energy and operations more efficiently.
In developed countries, commercial buildings consume around 20-40% of the total energy therefore it is very important that they focus on energy optimization. IoT based smart buildings reduce the energy consumption and improve the operational efficiency.
Below is the list of benefits of an intelligent building -
1. Improves energy efficiency : Data collected by sensors at a building level can be used to regulate air-conditioning and lighting level in real time, thereby reducing energy consumption and optimizing the internal environment to improve occupants comfort.
2. Enhances comfort and efficiency of occupants : Temperature and lighting level can be monitored and managed for each individual section. This is how it offers tailored experiences for users based on their temperature preferences throughout the day and optimize their efficiency.
3. Increases operational efficiency : Powering down lights in sections with zero activity, adjusting cooling systems as per the outside temperature, and managing other devices can be automated. This not only ensures that facilities are used more efficiently but also brings an improved experience for building users.
4. Predictive maintenance : Continuous monitoring and predictive capability of IoT-enabled buildings can enable a building manager to take appropriate corrective action before tenants even notice a problem. Predictive maintenance can:
- Reduce maintenance costs
- Eliminate loss due to equipment breakdowns
- Reduce equipment downtime
All the above benefits showcase how a smart building makes occupants more comfortable and more productive.
Whether you want to increase the efficiency of your building, reduce operational costs, increase energy savings, monitor asset utilization or improve occupants experience converting your traditional building into smart building will help you achieve the same.
IOTomation offers intelligent building and energy management solution that not only reduces the costs of energy, commissioning and maintenance but at the same time also enables safer, efficient reliable and more predictive world.